Call it our whakapapa if you like, or even the 'corporate DNA'.
Here are the partners who have led our practice from 1892 to
today, and they are just of few of the many who have been part of the
firm's story. It's a story that's still developing, and we
certainly don't know everything. If you know of a good tale
about the practice, please tell
us. If you're an architectural historian looking for a project, we'd love to know more, especially
about the postwar era.
William Crichton (1862-1928) who had been working on large
institutional buildings for the Colonial Architects Department,
established his own practice and was quickly gaining commissions
including for the Boys' Institute (founded the same year) and
Wellington Hospital, as well as many houses. A number of even
his earliest buildings are still in use today.
growing, James Hector McKay - 'a dour Scot with a cold eye and much dignity' - came into partnership with Crichton in 1901. A canny businessman, he was also a designer:
St James Presbyterian Church
on Adelaide Road, Newtown is his best-known building. He retired in 1926.
Palmer Haughton (1891-1956) was the first New Zealand born partner in
practice, joining Crichton & McKay in 1909 as a pupil, partner
from 1926 and principal from 1928. Volunteering for service in 1914 he served at Gallipolli and received a severe head wound at the battle of the Somme. In his 47 years with the company he designed many buildings including The
Dominion Building, Wellington, and numerous bank branches throughout New Zealand, the most famous of which is probably the fomer Bank of New Zealand in Napier,
with its conspicuous Maori motifs.
William John "Bill" McKeon (1896-1973) also served in the Great War,
and joined V.P. Haughton at the firm in 1935, having had his own
Wellington practice since 1921. His major work with the
practice was the Hutt Hospital (1939-41 - now known as the 'clock
tower' building), in addition to many houses. President of
the NZIA in 1945-46, he left amicably in 1951 to
form his own practice, and was still working into the late 1960s.
Mair, son of the former government architect John Mair, was responsible
for many major educational projects including the
Technology (C.I.T.) campus development at Heretaunga, Upper Hutt.
||V.P. Haughton's son
Robert became a partner in 1951, at a time when the practice was moving
towards larger instutional projects. Under Bob
Haughton the practice was responsible for a large number of hospital
buildings across the lower North Island of New Zealand. With
many large and complex projects The Haughton Partnership was almost an
extension of the Ministry of Works during his tenure.
Latterly Bob was the
second partner of the firm to become President of the NZIA.
Creagh was involved in many large institutional projects including the
Wellington Hospital Total Energy Centre, Newtown. John passed away 15 Sept 2016 aged 98. The Dominion Post newspaper published an extensive obituary detailing his wartime exploits.
Willament's role in this 'big project' era for the practice included
the relatively modest Anvil House on Wakefield Street, Wellington
Chris Brookwhite's major projects was the Central Institute of
Technology (C.I.T.) in Heretaunga, Upper Hutt. The quantity
work required for such large and often complex buildings, in the era
before CAD software and cheap, simple printing and copying, can be
another member of the team who worked on major institutional projects
including at Wellington Hospital and the National Laboratories (now ESR
Kenepuru). John passed away 19 April 2014.
the man who wrote the book on plumbing in New Zealand -
Now retired, he was recruited directly from Yorkshire to
provide additional capability in large and complex instutional
buildings. The Wellington Hospital Total Energy Centre in Newtown is
of his more distinctive landmark buildings, with Hutt Hospital a more
conventional example of his work. With Denis
Fortune he took the firm from a
partnership to a limited company, Bulleyment Fortune Architects Ltd.
latest and current principal of the firm, having with Alan Bulleyment
navigated the transition out of the 'Ministry of Works' era and through
'Rogernomics' to emerge as a robust full-service practice capable of
taking on both domestic commissions and large institutional projects,
with a new emphasis on strengthening and mental heath work.
Just like William Crichton, though, we'll turn our hands to
anything and we design buildings to last.